One of the final configuration/mapping steps when setting up our WooCommerce Sync for QuickBooks Online plugin is handling how our plugin syncs orders that include sales tax.
The way our plugin syncs orders with tax applied to them in WooCommerce is by reading the mappings set in MyWorks Sync > Map > Tax Rules. This page is a visual representation of your WooCommerce Tax Rates (shown on the left side) and your QuickBooks Online tax rates (shown on the right column, in the dropdown).
Setting up your tax rates
The best way to handle setting up taxes if either your WooCommerce or QuickBooks Online is starting fresh is the following steps, in the order listed:
- Set up/configure all of your WooCommerce Tax Rates. This can be done in WooCommerce > Settings > Taxes in your admin.
- Set up/configure these same tax rates in QuickBooks Online. This can be done in Taxes > Edit Sales Tax Rates / Agencies in QuickBooks Online.
Mapping your tax rates
Once taxes are set in both systems, visit MyWorks Sync > Map > Tax Rules. You may then choose the QuickBooks Online tax rate in the dropdown on the right that corresponds to the WooCommerce Tax rate listed for that row.
Mapping combined tax rates
Our plugin is compatible with Combined Tax Rate setup. The best way to handle combined tax rates is creating them first in WooCommerce, then creating the combined tax rate in QuickBooks Online. Then, in our Tax Rules mapping page, you can map the two tax rates in WooCommerce to the one combined rate in QuickBooks Online. This can be done by using the second row with a + sign in front of it, under each basic WooCommerce Tax rate row.
This combined tax rate setup is most common in Canada, where GST and PST are normally charged to one order, for example.
Here’s a standard example, with a screenshot:
- GST 5% for Alberta in WooCommerce is mapped to the corresponding GST 5% rate in QuickBooks Online.
- GST 5% for British Columbia in WooCommerce is mapped to the corresponding GST 5% rate in QuickBooks Online.
- In the combined tax rate row (denoted by the + sign), the WooCommerce GST 5% Rate + the PST BC 7% Rate for British Columbia is mapped to the combined tax rate “GST/PST BC” in QuickBooks Online.
- PST BC 7% for British Columbia in WooCommerce is mapped to the corresponding PST BC 7% rate in QuickBooks Online.